Pages

Monday, February 3, 2014

A Quick Note of Gratitude

Don't worry, my 24-year-old-blog spewings will return shortly, but I felt like I needed to take a moment to thank, well, everyone.

Going through my old blogs (and I've read almost all of them just to see what I'm getting myself into in upcoming posts) I realized the truth of what many people have said about social media outlets:

People tend to post things that make themselves and everything in their lives look great.

Life events, accomplishments, amazing food that they're eating, check-ins to rad places, etc. You know what I'm talking about.

Makin' everything seem like...

Of course, no one wants to read posts about how bad things are all the time either.

"Ugh. My toothpaste fell off the brush onto the counter, and then I forgot my lunch, and then the bus smelled like piss, and also I'm still single, and the sun is mocking my misery, and why are my friends so happy, and…"


I think there's a fine line between being honest in social media and being too positive or too negative---which based on my MySpace entries and my Facebook posts over the years, I am guilty of BOTH.

But I've been trying to post honestly. To highlight the good, the average, the normal, and sometimes to include the not-so-great. Because the truth is, everyone is dealing with something at some point, and it's really important to keep that in mind.

We all have our victories and our battles. That's human nature. And sometimes it's hard to remember that.

Anyways, the reason I'm telling you all of this is not to incorporate gifs or talk social media -- it's because last night I posted on my Facebook page the following status update:

"Not gonna try to hide it: feeling a little blue tonight. Life is good, but sometimes you still get sad. That's just part of it."

This wasn't a cry for help. It wasn't a post in order to garner attention or a response.

In all honesty, I felt like it was important to be vulnerable and let my friends know that, Hey guys, this weekend I posted a lot of really fun stuff; it looks like I'm always happy all the time. But the truth is, tonight I'm blue. Nothing major, it's just the way life goes. But, you know… it's not all cooking in fun aprons, cuddling with GC, and movie nights. 

What happened next blew my ever-loving mind (and led to me writing this post).

Within minutes, friends were reaching out in various ways just to let me know I was loved. Simple as that. Making me laugh with texts and messages and empathizing.

It was beautiful. And although I was blue, knowing that I wasn't alone and being reminded that the people in my life are absolutely amazing made it much, much easier to fall asleep last night.

And more importantly, to remember to be incredibly grateful.

And also to make sure I pay close attention to the people in my life in case they need a text or a hug or a laugh.

So, everyone, thank you. I am a really lucky lady, and better---so much better---for knowing all of you.


Next time I see any of you lovely idiots, this. 



No comments:

Post a Comment